Located in the beautiful Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park, the Taconic Outdoor Education Center is a unique facility offering a wide range of programs and activities.
The property includes ten miles of trails for interpretive study, hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, long distance running, and horseback riding; a lakefront for aquatic study, swimming, canoeing, fishing, ice skating and ice fishing; a primitive Camp Area with privy and water; and heated cabins, each accommodating ten people.
Programs are adaptable for all age groups, from elementary students to senior citizens. Any group of individuals who wants to learn something new and exciting will find what they are looking for here.
A small sampling of programs offered includes Sensory Awareness: activities that stimulate full sensory exploration of the environment; Geology: teaches the effects of glaciation and how to interpret the past geological history of the region; Aquatic Ecology: a study of ponds, streams, and wetlands, including watershed, water cycle, conservation and communities; Outdoor Skills: basic techniques that are useful in outdoor living situations;Astronomy (evening program for over-nighters): explores the constellations, stars, planets, and galaxies; if the night is clear, telescope and binoculars are used.
Taconic Outdoor Education Center
75 Mountain Laurel Lane
Cold Spring, NY 10524
- Route 280 East to Garden State Parkway North for +/- 25 miles
- Merge onto Gov. Thomas E Dewey Thruway North / East Exit 14-1 stay right follow signs to I-87, I-287 New York City
- Take Ramp Left towards I-287 Tappan Zee Bridge
- Exit at 13N onto Palisades Interstate Parkway North
- Proceed +/- 19 miles (road changes to US-6)
- At circle follow signs towards RT-202, US-6, Bear Mountain Bridge
- Proceed +/- 4.2 miles and over Bear Mountain Bridge
- At circle follow signs to RT-9D North (Albany Post Road) Proceed +/- 10 miles
- Turn Right (east) onto SR-301 Proceed +/- 2.5 Miles
- Turn Right onto Dennytown Rd. Proceed ¼ mile turn Right onto Indian Brook Road
- Proceed ¼ mile turn Left onto Mountain Laurel Lane. Follow Signs to Highland Lodge.
For GPS Enter Dennytown Rd, Cold Spring, NY 10516
Arrive: Promptly 9:00 AM Saturday Morning
Depart: After Closing Ceremonies Sunday Morning around 9:30 AM
Program: Belt Loop Activities/ Games/ Campfire/ Hiking and Lots of Fun
Lodging: Heated main lodge with Fireplace. Comfortable heated cabins (Some with toilet facilities and showers others share common bath house)
Food: Saturday Lunch and Dinner, Sunday Breakfast Included. Snack assignments will be provided later.
Things to Pack
Scouts will be in Uniform the entire trip except sleeping. The Scouts should wear their Class B Uniform under the Class A for convenience. Class A’s will be worn for Opening and Closing Flags and Scouts own Service. Class B’s for all other activities. Please note that you should not bring any electronic games on the outing as this is an outdoor experience.
- Sleeping Bag
- Water Bottle
- Pillow & Pillow Case
- Sun Glasses
- Sleep Wear
- Tooth Brush & Tooth Paste
- Hair Brush/Comb
- Bath Towel
- 1 Extra Underwear
- 2 Extra Socks
- Extra Slacks
- Extra Shirt
- Pack Sweat Shirt
- Warm Coat
- Rain Gear
- Wool Hat